Family refutes officials’ claims regarding C-section

Posted on

first_imgLinden Hospital maternal death– says prenatal documents not released The family of 41-year-old Jennifer Gill of Amelia’s Ward, Linden, who died at the Linden Hospital Complex (LHC) on Monday evening following the delivery of a healthy baby boy has refuted claims that she did not require a C-section delivery.One of Gill’s family members has also indicated that officials are in possession of the now deceased woman’s prenatal health documents which they have not yet released, adding that they believe this action should be investigated.They said the woman’s fiancé has opted not to disclose much until a post-mortem examination is conducted. The family failed to show up for the procedure, which was expected to be conducted on the body of the deceased woman at the Hospital on Wednesday.Gill’s niece, Tashanna, who resided with her, noted on Thursday that the family has not yet decided when they would have the procedure done, but confirmed that they would go through with it.LHC officials have since noted that the family would now have to travel from Linden to Georgetown to have the procedure done, since pathologists would not return to the said hospital to conduct the post-mortem.Hospital officials have so far indicated that the medical institution would have so far completed its investigation into the matter and an official report was prepared and sent to the relevant authorities, including the Chief Medical Officer and the Director of Regional Health Services.The medical institution’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Dr Farouk Riyasat noted on Wednesday that based on his medical knowledge and facts of the report, he believed that Gill died after suffering a blood disorder, referred to as Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation (DIC), which caused rapid blood loss and thinning, eventually leading to shock and kidney failure.The CEO made the revelation, which he stated was his belief, during a media briefing, which was also attended by the Hospital’s CMO, Dr Romesa McDonald and Public Relations Officer (PRO) Toshanna Alicock. Dr Riyasat also said that the family’s failure to show up for the post-mortem examination has hampered the flow of information for the report.The Hospital’s PRO had noted that according to facts from the report, on first assessment by the doctor on duty, Gill was in active labour when she arrived at the Hospital, being dilated at six centimetres (cm) and did not require a C-section. This was also reaffirmed by the CEO, who said that a C-section would have also proved fatal for the deceased woman given the alleged blood disorder which she suffered from. The Hospital CEO also refuted claims by the family that a C-section was not performed since there was no doctor available, as he claimed that the Hospital provides for doctors to be on call 24/7.He said only the anaesthetic consultant was later called in, but an obstetrician had been present with the patient at all times. Dr Riyasat also stated that an obstetrician was the one to decide if Gill needed a C-section, but he said Gill was found to be in the position to facilitate a normal delivery. Dr Riyasat reiterated that General Medical Officers (GMOs) were on site while consultants were always on call and theatre staff always  available, adding that a doctor was on site when Gill arrived.However, with regard to the conditions which the officials noted reportedly led to her demise, Gill’s niece, Tashanna, has since indicated her disbelief. “It’s all a lie. Everything that they’re saying is not true. At this point, I’m just putting everything in God’s hands. They’re not letting go of anything. They have all those documents. They holding on to all the papers,” she said.Officials had also indicated that the family had been kept up to date on the now deceased woman’s condition, and that she was given the best possible care.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *