A devoted daughter made an amazing journey today to ensure that her dad would not lose out once again after he previously lost his council seat by just ONE vote!Donegal county councillor Jimmy Kavanagh was heartbroken in 2004 when he lost his seat by just one vote in the local elections.His daughter Lea now lives in San Francisco but follows her dad’s political career closely. For the past few weeks while Jimmy’s family and friends were canvassing door to door in Letterkenny for the Fine Gael councillor, Lea felt a little helpless.It didn’t help that the same family and friends kept reminding her how her ONE vote could be the difference to her dad continuing his political career.Leah Kavanagh who made a surprise trip home from America to cast her vote pictured with her father outgoing Cllr Jimmy Kavanagh, her mother Rosin and her sister Michelle Connely and nephew Jack pictured as they all cast their vote in Letterkenny. Yesterday. Photo Brian McDaid.So nothing would do Lea than to make the 7,985km journey to make sure she was able to vote for her beloved dad.She flew in today just in time to put an ‘x’ in the box beside her dad’s name. A delighted Jimmy, who knew nothing of the secret trip, was speechless when Lea turned up at a polling station at Trinity Hal in Letterkenny in Letterkenny.Jimmy told Donegal Daily “I was just speechless. I didn’t now what to say. It’s wonderful to have all the family together now for what hopefully be a great occasion.”Lea, who works in investments in the US, has been in the US for five years but was determined to make the 17-hour journey to vote for her dad.Leah Kavanagh who made a surprise trip home from America to cast her vote pictured with her father outgoing Cllr Jimmy Kavanagh, her mother Rosin and her sister Michelle Connely pictured as they all cast their vote in Letterkenny. Yesterday. Photo Brian McDaid.“I flew into Dublin and then took another flight from Dublin to Carrickfin Airport. It was amazing to fly into Donegal.“I felt so helpless not being able to canvass for him over the past six weeks so hopefully my vote will help him a little. I really do hope he does it again,” she said. All will be revealed on Sunday whether Lea’s marvellous journey was worth it – if her dad gets across the line.Outgoing Fine Gael Cllr. Jimmy Kavanagh’s expression says it all as he spots his daughter Leah who made a surprise trip home from America to cast her vote in Letterkenny yesterday. Photo Brian McDaid.Local Election 2019: Daughter’s amazing journey to help dad make it count! was last modified: May 26th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Cllr Jimmy Kavanaghcounty councillor. Leah Kavanaghletterkennysan francisco
Chelsea Ladies will clinch the Women’s Super League title if they win at Manchester City on Sunday – it would also be the first major trophy of the team’s 22-year history.Emma Hayes’ side are top of the table going into the final round of fixtures and would have been crowned champions with last weekend’s win against Everton had other results gone their way.They are two points above second-placed Birmingham City and three clear of reigning champions Liverpool.Their title rivals are both at home, with Birmingham hosting Notts County and Liverpool facing Bristol Academy.“If we win the league I’ll be in dreamland, but we’ve got a really tough game to end the season and I’m not thinking beyond those 90 minutes,” Hayes said.Even if they are pipped to the title, second place would earn them a place in the Champions League for the first time.See also:Two wins and we’re champions – it’s important for us to stay focusedChelsea youngsters score 12 against VillaFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
OAKLAND — This whole baseball thing wasn’t exactly Marco Estrada’s cup of tea.Estrada immigrated to the United States from Mexico at the age of five along with his mother, Mariza. Not too long after arriving in Southern California, she immediately encouraged him to try out the sport.It was ultimately the right decision as Estrada has carved out a nice career over 12 big league seasons that includes an All-Star selection in 2016. But Estrada hated baseball so much at first that he almost quit. …
Day Two action of the 2007 Senior NTL will feature an exciting schedule of games that is sure to separate the pretenders from the contenders.After a keenly contested first day in humid conditions, competitors across the seven Senior divisions will be looking to cement good form leading into the final days of competition.Showcase games for the day include Field One action in both the Men’s and Women’s 30 years divisions. In the Women’s 30s division, competition heavyweights Suns and Cyclones will battle for the top spot.Suns, led by current Australian World Cup Men’s Open representative Matt Curran, and Rustlers, spearheaded by 2007 Australian Men’s Open Captain Gavin Shuker, will meet in a high quality encounter on the premier field late in the day.Scorpions and Sharks will tangle for control of the leaderboard in the Men’s 35s division, whilst in the Women’s 40s division Sharks and warm favourites Scorpions will test each other out in an entertaining match up. For all the results and tables for all divisons go to the TFA SPORTINGPULSE WEBSITE8.30amWomen’s 30s: Scorpions v ACTWomen’s 30s: Suns v EaglesMen’s 45s: Rustlers v ACTMen’s 45s: Eagles v HornetsMen’s 45s: Suns v Sharks9.20amWomen’s 30s: Rustlers v SharksWomen’s 30s: Cyclones v HornetsMen’s 50s: ACT v SharksMen’s 35s: Sharks v ScorpionsMen’s 35s: Suns v CobrasMen’s 40s: Scorpions v Rustlers10.10amMen’s 40s: Barbarians v EaglesMen’s 40s: Cyclones v MetsMen’s 50s: Rustlers v CyclonesMen’s 50s: Eagles v MetsMen’s 40s: Warriors v SunsMen’s 40s: Hornets v Sharks11.00amMen’s 30s: Warriors v HornetsMen’s 30s: Cobras v CyclonesMen’s 50s: Hornets v SunsWomen’s 40s: Scorpions v SharksWomen’s 40s: Suns v HornetsMen’s 30s: Rustlers v Barbarians11.50amMen’s 45s: Suns v ScorpionsWomen’s 40s: Cobras v CyclonesMen’s 50s: Scorpions v CobrasWomen’s 30s: Suns v ScorpionsWomen’s 30s: Cyclones v ACT12.40pmMen’s 45s: Rustlers v HornetsMen’s 45s: ACT v SharksMen’s 40s: Suns v HornetsWomen’s 30s: Rustlers v EaglesWomen’s 30s: Hornets v SharksMen’s 40s: Scorpions v Sharks1.30pmMen’s 30s: Suns v WarriorsMen’s 35s: Sharks v CobrasMen’s 35s: Scorpions v MetsMen’s 40s: Mets v WarriorsMen’s 40s: Eagles v CyclonesMen’s 40s: Rustlers v Barbarians2.20pmWomen’s 40s: Scorpions v SunsWomen’s 40s: Cobras v SharksWomen’s 40s: Cyclones v HornetsMen’s 30s: Rustlers v HornetsMen’s 50s: Cyclones v CobrasMen’s 30s: Barbarians v Cyclones3.10pmWomen’s 30s: Suns v CyclonesWomen’s 30s: Hornets v RustlersMen’s 50s: Mets v SunsMen’s 50s: ACT v HornetsMen’s 50s: Eagles v ScorpionsMen’s 50s: Rustlers v Sharks4.00pmWomen’s 30s: Sharks v ScorpionsWomen’s 30s: ACT v EaglesMen’s 45s: ACT v SunsMen’s 45s: Sharks v EaglesMen’s 45s: Hornets v Scorpions4.50pmMen’s 30s: Suns v RustlersMen’s 30s: Cyclones v WarriorsMen’s 40s: Rustlers v MetsMen’s 40s: Barbarians v SunsMen’s 40s: Scorpions v Eagles5.40pmMen’s 30s: Barbarians v CobrasMen’s 35s: Sharks v SunsMen’s 35s: Cobras v MetsMen’s 40s: Cyclones v SharksMen’s 40s: Warriors v Hornets
Solskjaer: Man Utd players don’t need to be best friendsby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists his players do not need to be best friends.He is putting his squad through their paces in Dubai during United’s mid-season warm weather training camp.Solskjaer revealed there have been some friendly arguments after practice games but said he wants to see even more niggle.“You don’t have to be best friends,” said Solskjaer. “The team spirit is great. We had one or two fights, but that’s just the demand, the standards you set.“If the session ends with a little bit of a quarrel I don’t mind that, because it means they’re winners, they want to improve.“If you settle for losing in training, you’ll lose when a game when it really matters.“It’s a long, hard season. You’ve got to deal with the wins, defeats, setbacks and players not playing.“They all want to play, but they all want the best for their mates and everyone understands it’s a team game.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
zoom Wes Amelie, the world’s first containership retrofitted with a liquefied natural gas (LNG) engine was launched on August 23, 2017.Since May 2017, the 1,000 TEU feeder, owned by Wessels Reederei based in Harem/Ems, has undergone an LNG engine conversion at the German Dry Docks in Bremerhaven.Wes Amelie, just like its 15 identical sister ships, is operating on the feeder routes between the North Sea and the Baltic Sea.The conversion was supported by the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure and will likely be extended to other ships in the fleet.Following the launching, Hamburg based company Nauticor was selected to conduct the vessel’s initial LNG bunkering at the Kühlhauskai in the Port of Bremerhaven. In total, four trucks were brought to the German port and transferred LNG to the vessel.” With the conversion of Wes Amelie, Wessels Reederei has become a pioneer in establishing LNG as fuel for containerships. We are happy to support that effort and are looking forward to future cooperation, taking into consideration that our second LNG bunker vessel will start operations in Northwest Europe next year with a focus on customers in the North Sea & Baltic Sea,” Mahinde Abeynaike, Managing Director Nauticor, said.With the conversion of the 1,000 TEU vessel, Wessels Reederei is a frontrunner in the use of LNG as fuel for containerships in the Northwest Europe. The ship management company has a fleet of 36 seagoing vessels, comprised of 26 coasters, 4 containerships, and 6 multi-purpose freighters.
zoomIllustration. Image Courtesy: Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons license The six crew members of MSC Mandy, who were kidnapped on January 2, 2019 in the Gulf of Guinea, have been released.“MSC is pleased and relieved to confirm that the six crew members, who were reported as missing after a small container ship was attacked in the Gulf of Guinea on January 2, have returned home safely,” Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) confirmed to World Maritime News.“MSC has no further comment at this time, out of respect for the crew members and their families.”The terms of the crew’s release were not disclosed.According to NATO’s Maritime Domain Awareness for Trade – Gulf of Guinea (MDAT-GoG), the vessel was attacked and boarded by pirates some 55 nautical miles off the coast of Cotonou, while it was traversing through the Gulf of Guinea.The 2,668 TEU ship was sailing from the Port of Lome, Togo, when it was boarded. It had 24 crew members on board, including 23 Russian nationals, according to the information from the Russian Embassy in Nigeria. Six Russian crew members were taken, while the remaining crew members were reported safe.Following the attack, the ship was secured and left Nigerian waters immediately.World Maritime News Staff
Raipur: A District Reserve Guard (DRG) jawan, who was injured in an encounter with Naxals on Saturday in Chhattisgarh’s Narayanpur district, has died, police said.Five Naxals were killed on Saturday in the gun-battle with the DRG in a dense forest area of the district, located about 350 km from the state capital Raipur.Two DRG jawans, identified as Raju Netam and Somaru Gota, were also injured in the encounter.”Netam received critical bullet injuries to his vital organs. He succumbed while being evacuated from the forest,” Narayanpur Superintendent of Police Mohit Garg told PTI on Sunday. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’Acting on a specific intelligence input about the location of a Naxal training camp near Dhurbeda village in core area of the Maoist hotbed of Abhujmad, a team of DRG, comprising over 100 personnel, raided the place around 6 am on Saturday, he said.The gunfight lasted for about an hour, following which the ultras disappeared into the dense forest.During search, bodies of five ultras were recovered along with a huge cache of weapons, explosives and Maoist documents from the spot, he said. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KGarg said bad weather and hostile terrain hampered the evacuation operation as three attempts to airlift the injured personnel from the forest failed due to continuous rainfall in the area.”The security personnel brought their injured colleagues on cots over their shoulders. They reached Orchha, where the ambulance and doctors were arranged,around 10 pm (nearly 15 hours after the encounter) on Saturday,” he said.While Netam was declared brought dead, Gota was admitted to a private hospital in Raipur where his condition was reported to be out of danger, he said.The killed ultras were yet to be identified, the official said, adding that prima facie, it seems they belonged to military company no. 1 of Maoists.
NEW DELHI: Representatives of several Muslim organisations on Monday supported the Dalit community’s demand for reconstructing a Ravidas temple in Tuglakabad forest area and said they would organise a joint protest in the national capital on September 15. The Delhi Development Authority (DDA) had demolished the temple on August 10 on the orders of the Supreme Court.On August 21, a massive protest in the national capital on the issue turned violent, following which Dalit group Bhim Army chief Chandrashekhar Azad and 95 others were arrested on the charge of rioting. At a press conference here, Mulana Fazlul Manan Shahi, the Imam of Teele Wali Masjid in Lucknow, said, “We feel the pain caused by the temple’s demolition as we have gone through a similar experience. We share the grief of our Dalit brothers. We will be there to rebuild the temple.” Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderMufti Aeyaaz Arshad Qasmi, a member of the All India Muslim Personal Law Board, said, “If the government does not rebuild the temple, we will hit the streets on September 15. We will do all that we can. We will take legal recourse too.” Syyed Bahadur Abbas Naqvi, the general secretary of Anjuman-e-Haideri, alleged that the “government misled the apex court by furnishing fake documents about acquisition of the land where the temple stood.” “According to law, land belonging to any religious structure cannot be acquired. The government acquired the land in question in 1986. There is enough evidence to prove that the temple existed before 1986,” he claimed. “Muslims and Dalits communities stand together on the issue. We demand the temple be built at its original place and Azad and his supporters, who have been arrested on false charges, be released immediately,” Naqvi said, adding on September 15, the Muslim community will take put a peaceful march to the site in Tughlakabad where the temple stood.
Fifth Harmony singer and March Of Dimes Celebrity Ambassador, Ally Brooke, born prematurely, recently celebrated winning an award at Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards with her new friend and fellow preemie, 14-year-old Ismael Torres-Castrodad, the March of Dimes 2016 National Ambassador.Fifth Harmony singer Ally Brooke with 14-year-old Ismael Torres-Castrodad, the March of Dimes 2016 National AmbassadorAlly invited Ismael as her guest to the event, where her group Fifth Harmony won the award as Favorite Music Group. More importantly, these two powerful former preemies have joined forces to raise awareness that premature birth is the #1 killer of babies in the U.S. They’re urging others to support the March of Dimes and its research and other programs to prevent premature birth.The 2016 March for Babies is sponsored nationally by the March of Dimes number one corporate supporter Kmart, Famous Footwear, Macy’s, Cigna, United Airlines, and Mission Pharmacal.The March of Dimes is the leading nonprofit organization for pregnancy and baby health. For more than 75 years, moms and babies have benefited from March of Dimes research, education, vaccines, and breakthroughs.