Indianapolis, In. — Attorney General Curtis Hill today announced he is appealing a federal court’s consent decree setting a minimum number of five early-voting sites specifically in Marion County in perpetuity, which contravenes state law requiring a unanimous vote of the county election board each year to establish satellite offices.“In filing this appeal, we are defending the ability of the local election board to make these decisions in accordance with state law without a federal court ruling binding the board to a minimum number of locations indefinitely,” Attorney General Hill said.Further, Attorney General Hill said, his office has a statutory obligation to defend the constitutionality and enforceability of state laws. In this case, a federal court overrode the operation of state law without declaring that enforcement of the law would violate federal law.While fulfilling his statutory duty, Attorney General Hill also reiterated his own strong support for maximizing the numbers of satellite voting centers in all 92 counties.“We must — as a matter of civic responsibility — ensure that as many people as possible are able to participate in free and fair elections,” he said. “In every lawful way, we should maximize the convenience and ease with which citizens may cast their ballots. Establishing a plentiful number of early-voting sites is one such strategy. I encourage county election officials across Indiana to operate multiple satellite voting locations in their counties, and I encourage voters to take maximum advantage of these opportunities.”Current court proceedings in this matter have no effect on the 2018 election cycle or current numbers of early-voting sites.
“Today it’s mask laws. Tomorrow it will be mandatory vaccines. What happen to my body my choice? Guess that only applies when killing babies or something… How convenient..,” one donator commented.The page, which was created on Wednesday, has raised nearly $6,500 as of Thursday evening. Traficante says the goal is to raise $10,000.Martin County officials have not commented about the page or Traficante’s plan to fight the mask order. She explains that all of the money donated will be used towards the lawsuit and attorney fees against the county, as well as for any appeals.Anti-mask GoFundMe page A Martin County woman has created a GoFundMe page, with the goal of paying for a lawsuit against the county, after officials there passed a mask ordinance earlier this week.“We cannot allow our local government to be involved in the gross disregard for our basic individual rights. This has to stop and we need to stand together and firm against this tyranny,” Kaye Traficante, the organizer, wrote.
Former Red Sox reliever Craig Kimbrel is one of the best closers of all time and he wants to be paid like it.According to The Athletic, the 30-year-old right-hander is looking for a contract of six years and north of $100 million. Kimbrel has amassed 333 saves in his career and sits 14th all time in saves in MLB history. MLB hot stove: Manny Machado’s ‘first choice’ is to sign with Yankees, report says I’ve heard execs from 2 teams say this week that Craig Kimbrel is looking for a deal north of $100 million for 6 years.He’s one of the greatest closers of all time. But is there a record deal out there for him? Hard to say in a bullpen market that has barely moved.— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) December 13, 2018That would be the biggest contract in total money for a reliever in MLB history. Dodgers closer Kenley Jansen signed a five-year, $80 million deal last season.It would be short of the most money made per year for a closer — that distinction belongs to Rockies closer Wade Davis who signed a three-year, $52 million deal in Dec. 2017 — but it would still be a huge sum of money. Related News MLB hot stove: Angels to sign slugger Justin Bour, report says The former Braves pitcher was the youngest player to ever reach 300 saves.His last contract was for four years and $42 million.