夜上海论坛QD

Bravo, Cameron apologise; player set to play for West Indies again

Posted on

first_imgST JOHN’S, Antigua (CMC) – Exiled left-hander Darren Bravo is set to play for West Indies again “with immediate effect” after he and Cricket West Indies president Dave Cameron exchanged apologies to end a nine-month impasse.In a statement yesterday, Cricket West Indies said the 28-year-old player would be “available with immediate effect to play in all forms of cricket.” Bravo had his match-tour contract cancelled and was sent home ahead of the Tri-Nation Series in Zimbabwe last November for labelling Cameron “a big idiot” in a controversial tweet.Cameron said Bravo was a “valuable part” of the West Indies side and had intended “no insult or offence” when he gave an interview last year appearing to criticise Bravo over his lack of form.“In early November 2016, I gave an interview to SportsMax TV during which I discussed player retainer contracts and the grades of contract that had been awarded to certain players,” Cameron said in the statement.“In the course of the interview I stated that Darren Bravo had previously been on an ‘A’ contract, which I have since been advised is not correct. I apologise for the misstatement, and wish to assure Mr Bravo that there was no insult or offence intended towards him.“Darren is a senior cricketer who has been a valuable part of the Windies set up for a long time, and I would hope to see his game continue to progress and mature, at both regional and international levels.”Bravo, the region’s leading Test batsman with an average of 40 from 49 Tests, said his reaction to Cameron’s comments in the media interview had been “inappropriate” and had now removed the offending tweet from his Twitter account.“On the 11th day of November 2016, after viewing statements made about me by Mr Dave Cameron, president of the Cricket West Indies, on a television sports programme, I tweeted a response which referred to the president which was, in retrospect, inappropriate,” Bravo said.“As I have always tried to uphold the best traditions of West Indies Cricket and its players, I now therefore wish to withdraw the comment made on my Twitter account and apologise to the president of CWI and to all Windies fans.“I look forward to continuing to play a positive role in both the West Indies’ senior men’s team and regional cricket, as well as helping to grow and develop cricket in the region at all levels.”Bravo had also earlier this year initiated legal action against CWI over the matter but the release did not state whether this had been withdrawn.The controversy erupted after CWI announced that Bravo had declined a retainer contract for the period up to September 30, 2017, with news subsequently emerging that the player had rejected a Grade C contract – a downgrade from his previous retainer.In the controversial media interview, Cameron said Bravo’s performances had not merited an enhanced contract.“His averages in the last two years have been declining, so what do you do? Reward poor performance or do you encourage him to get better?” Cameron was quoted as saying.“If you continue to keep giving him an A contract then what is the motivation to get better? He has been on an A contract and he hasn’t done well.”In response, Bravo lashed out angrily on Twitter, tagging Cameron in a tweet which said: “You hav[e] been failing 4 d last 4 yrs. Y don’t u resign and FYI I’ve neva been given an A contract. Big idiot.”CWI slammed Bravo’s actions as “disparaging” to Cameron and demanded he apologise and remove the tweet. The player complied with neither.Bravo since then has been barred from selection and also from playing for his native Trinidad and Tobago.Only recently, Cameron said Bravo would remain sidelined until the tweet was removed.West Indies are expected to tour England next month for three Tests with a squad announcement expected this week but Bravo last month indicated his unavailability because of commitments in the Caribbean Premier League.last_img read more

2 Syracuse players ejected in 5-1 loss to Colgate

Posted on

first_imgMadison Beishuizen chased the puck at center ice, but a Colgate player got to it first and skated toward the boards. Beishuizen charged at the Colgate skater and hit her from behind. The rink quietened as as the referees went to video review before ejecting the Syracuse forward from the game.On the ensuing penalty kill, Colgate kept play in SU’s defensive zone, and as Lauren Bellefontaine fought for a puck, she too launched a Colgate player into the boards. Bellefontaine was assessed a penalty for cross checking and sent to the box as the referees checked for a possible game misconduct. They confirmed a five-minute major and kicked Bellefontaine out of the game as well.Syracuse (0-7) was outclassed by Colgate (4-2-1) on Saturday, 5-1, at Tennity Ice Pavilion. The loss marked the worst start to a season in Syracuse program history, keeping it winless through seven games. The Orange had six total penalties as SU played down a player for long stretches of the game. It was a resounding win for Colgate that was overshadowed by two major penalties. In a span of 33 seconds, Syracuse was down two key forwards. Penalties have plagued SU all season, but it has never had two ejections in the same game this season.Defender Lindsay Eastwood was forced to log long shifts on the penalty kill on Saturday night. Eastwood was on the bench during the review of Beishuizen’s penalty and was soon sent on the ice with the penalty kill unit.“I mean obviously we’re hoping for the best and that they’re not getting the boot,” said Eastwood. “I think if that’s what they deserve, that’s what they deserve and we gotta be smarter than that.” AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe back-to-back major penalties highlighted Syracuse’s overall frustrations. Both plays endangered the opponents as they were sent headfirst into the board on blindside hits. Syracuse head coach Paul Flanagan agreed with the referees on both calls. “It’s a dirty play,” said Flanagan. “Every kid knows it, in the hockey world you learn that when you’re five or six, the boards don’t give.”Flanagan said he was left frustrated by his team’s lack of discipline. With four minor penalties and two major penalties, Syracuse had no chance of clawing their way back into the game. Colgate initially took the lead on the power play in the first period and then added another on the power play in the third. Flanagan admitted discipline has been a problem “for about a decade now.”“I mean we’re going to have to start benching players and having players sit in the stands,” Flanagan said. “We gotta hit them where it hurts. There’s nothing worse than having to sit in the stands. It’s the surest way to get that done.”Discipline is something the team has been working on ever since the program began playing 12 years ago. Too many penalties have left SU defending its goal down a player. Countless players have cycled through the program over the years, but one common denominator remains: Flanagan.“It circles back to discipline,” said Flanagan. “That’s why I say it starts with me.” Comments Published on October 19, 2019 at 7:59 pm Contact Gaurav: gshetty@syr.edu Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more