Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Barcelona’s new signing Chilean soccer player Arturo Vidal applauds during his official presentation at the Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona, Spain, Monday, Aug. 6, 2018. Vidal has agreed a three year deal. (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez)BARCELONA, Spain — Unable to win the Champions League title while playing with Juventus and Bayern Munich, Arturo Vidal is looking to finally do it with Barcelona.The 31-year-old Chile midfielder was on Bayern teams that were eliminated by Real Madrid the last two seasons, but he said he has nothing to prove against his new team’s biggest rival.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award View comments LATEST STORIES Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs Love, prayers for Asiad five Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Peza offers relief to ecozone firms Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Gov’t in no rush to rescue animals in Taal MOST READ In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew After winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk “I don’t know if I have unfinished business with Madrid, but I do with the Champions League, which is my goal,” Vidal said Monday at his presentation. “I hope to achieve this goal here with Barcelona. We’ll see what happens when we get to play against Madrid.”Bayern was eliminated by Madrid in the Champions League quarterfinals in 2017 and in the semifinals in 2018. Earlier this year, Vidal didn’t hide his frustration with Real Madrid by posting messages criticizing the team on social media and saying it benefited from bad refereeing decisions.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’“I’m not anti-Real Madrid,” the Chilean said. “I’m against any rival that will be playing against Barcelona from now on.”In 2016, Bayern was eliminated by Atletico Madrid in the Champions League semifinals. Vidal joined Bayern from Juventus in 2015, not long after the Italian club lost the Champions League final to Barcelona. Juventus and Vidal made it to the quarterfinals of the European competition in 2013, losing to Bayern.Vidal was one of Chile’s key players when the South American nation won the Copa America in 2015 and 2016. He was also in the Chile squad that finished runner-up in last year’s Confederations Cup in Russia.Barcelona has also signed Arthur, Malcom and Clement Lenglet, while Andres Iniesta, Paulinho, Lucas Digne and Gerard Deulofeu left the team.On Monday, Ivan Rakitic, Samuel Umtiti, Luis Suarez, Philippe Coutinho, Yerry Mina and Thomas Vermaelen rejoined the squad following the World Cup. Lionel Messi, Sergio Busquets, Gerard Pique, Jordi Alba and Ousmane Dembele had already reported to the team.Barcelona is the defending Spanish league champion.ADVERTISEMENT
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals Today, nearly 100 youngsters from the Simi Valley Vikings football program and Simi Youth Baseball will assemble the holiday care packages, which must be mailed by Monday to make it to Iraq in time for Christmas. Bill Tessar is a coach with the local youth organizations. “The outpouring has been 10 times bigger than I ever expected,” said organizer Margo Hartzheim, who has two sons in the athletic programs. “It’s about families helping families.” The men and women of Tessar’s company will receive packages filled with calling cards, thermal socks, candy, magazines and books. Other boxes designed for the whole company will include box sets of television series, movies and back massagers. The youngsters also wrote letters of support for the soldiers, thanking them for their service. The care packages were made possible through donations. Organizers said they raised more than $7,000 in the weeks after Tessar’s death. Angie Valencia-Martinez, (805) 583-7604 email@example.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SIMI VALLEY – Just before he was killed, Army Sgt. 1st Class Jonathan Tessar asked his older brother to help his wife send holiday care packages to the 250 soldiers under his command in Iraq. After weeks of late nights and nearly round-the-clock work since his Oct. 31 death, the mission of Sgt. Tessar Operation Care Package has been completed. “It’s really an honor not just to my brother, but all the guys who have lost their lives and continue to fight in Iraq,” said his brother, Bill Tessar of Simi Valley. “We’re reaching out and trying to do something and understand all the liberties we have don’t come without sacrifice.” The drive began almost immediately after the 36-year-old Green Beret was killed in Iraq. He died when a bomb detonated near a Humvee carrying him and three other servicemen. He was just months away from retiring and joining his wife, Nancy, and their three children in Kentucky.
Fifth Harmony singer and March Of Dimes Celebrity Ambassador, Ally Brooke, born prematurely, recently celebrated winning an award at Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards with her new friend and fellow preemie, 14-year-old Ismael Torres-Castrodad, the March of Dimes 2016 National Ambassador.Fifth Harmony singer Ally Brooke with 14-year-old Ismael Torres-Castrodad, the March of Dimes 2016 National AmbassadorAlly invited Ismael as her guest to the event, where her group Fifth Harmony won the award as Favorite Music Group. More importantly, these two powerful former preemies have joined forces to raise awareness that premature birth is the #1 killer of babies in the U.S. They’re urging others to support the March of Dimes and its research and other programs to prevent premature birth.The 2016 March for Babies is sponsored nationally by the March of Dimes number one corporate supporter Kmart, Famous Footwear, Macy’s, Cigna, United Airlines, and Mission Pharmacal.The March of Dimes is the leading nonprofit organization for pregnancy and baby health. For more than 75 years, moms and babies have benefited from March of Dimes research, education, vaccines, and breakthroughs.
(Prime Minister Stephen Harper and AFN National Chief Shawn Atleo inside the prime minister’s Parliament Hill office on Dec. 1 APTN/Photo)By Jorge BarreraAPTN National NewsPrime Minister Stephen Harper is expected to leave by lunch time during next Tuesday’s meeting with hundreds of First Nations leaders in Ottawa, according to chiefs in Ontario and British Columbia.In interviews with APTN National News, chiefs said they have been notified that Harper may not be attending any of the post-ceremony meetings where First Nations leaders are expected to voice their concerns and priorities for changing the often desperate state of Indigenous communities across the country.Chiefs, however, said details of the gathering seem to be changing almost every hour.Harper will be present for the opening ceremonies and speeches, one of which he will deliver.Chiefs have been told that the prime minister may have to leave early to either prepare or take a flight to the World Economic Forum meeting in Davos, Switzerland, which begins Wednesday.Harper called next Tuesday’s gathering with First Nations leaders “historic” when he announced the event in December as political fallout from the Attawapiskat housing crisis was reaching its climax.“It is something I hope to be historic,” said Harper, who announced the event in his Parliament Hill office with Assembly of First Nations National Chief Shawn Atleo sitting next to him.Several cabinet ministers, including Aboriginal Affairs Minister John Duncan, Natural Resources Minister Joe Oliver, Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Peter Penashue and Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq, are expected to attend. But the chance to have Harper hear directly from and respond to First Nations chiefs was the centerpiece of the event.The prime minister was personally urged Monday in a telephone conversation with Atleo to “maximize his time” with First Nations leaders on Tuesday, APTN National News has learned.Some chiefs had also suggested the prime minister meet with some First Nations leaders separately Monday evening to hear their issues, but the Prime Minister’s Office has been reluctant to agree fearing it could turn into a “media circus” once word got out, according to a source with knowledge of the file.The PMO will only say that Harper’s itinerary would be set 24 hours in advance of the meeting.“The Prime Minister looks forward to attending next week’s gathering and addressing and engaging with Chiefs from First Nations across Canada,” said a statement from the PMO. “The government, which will also be represented at the gathering by several ministers and high-level officials, welcomes the opportunity for a constructive dialogue with First Nations and to identify the ways we can make progress on key issues like economic development, education, and accountability.”Harper’s expected departure midway through the Crown-First Nations gathering has left some First Nation leaders wondering about the point of the meeting.“We are deeply disappointed to hear the prime minister will be ducking out the back door within a couple of hours after this session begins,” said Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, president of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs. “I think in many ways it reflects his dismissive attitude towards the Aboriginal people in this country.”Anishinabek Nation Grand Council Chief Patrick Madahbee said he hoped that Harper would find the time to hear directly from chiefs either on Tuesday, or at an eventual meeting between First Nations leaders, premiers and the prime minister.Madahbee said chiefs were hoping that Harper and his cabinet ministers would agree to a time-table that would see concrete changes within six to 18 months.“We need to get some traction on issues,” said Madahbee, whose organization represents 39 Ontario First Nations. “There is a young generation of people who are getting more and more impatient, that want to get results and actions. We have been telling the government to deal with the leadership or deal with what could get out of hand.”Madahbee said the preparation for the meeting has been “11th hour” and “on the fly” with uncertainty even surrounding how many actual chiefs will be in the room at Ottawa’s old city hall building for the actual meetings, or in an overflow room at the Chateau Laurier blocks away.“It is kind of unfortunate the planning process with this government,” he said.About 400 chiefs are expected to descend on Ottawa Tuesday and the AFN says they hope to get at least 200 chiefs in for the actual meetings, while the rest would watch it on video screens.There has also been disappointment among some chiefs over Harper’s plan to deliver a speech focused on his government’s commitments and plans, said Phillip.Phillip said many chiefs were hoping Harper would stay and listen to their concerns, and then respond to what he heard at the end of the gathering.“The idea was that at the end of the day, there would be an opportunity to reflect on what was said and what his government heard. That would be the high point of this historic dialogue with the prime minister,” said Phillip. “Now we find out that it is not going to happen.”Kanesatake Grand Chief Serge Otsi Simon said he was going to take a wait and see approach to the meeting, but he hoped chiefs would find a way to stick together to force the government’s hand with Harper present or not.“We know it is going to be a challenge to deal with the Harper government. We are not sure if the chiefs will stick together,” he said. “We will probably see cracks again within the ranks of the chiefs…We are hoping the chiefs are going to see the urgency of unifying under one position and stick to that, regardless of what happens.”firstname.lastname@example.org@JorgeBarrera
APTN National NewsThe search for Christopher Metallic in New Brunswick continues as the student hasn’t been seen since November 25.Metallic, 20, was last seen leaving a party in Sackville where he was attended university.The Mounties, search and rescue teams have scoured the area using helicopters, police dogs and divers.The family still holds out hope the Mi’Kmaq man will be found safe and they’ve now paid for cadaver dogs to join the search.