Mr Murphy, rightAn investigation has started into the flooding at Letterkenny General Hospital last night following torrential rain with the hospital manager Sean Murphy insisting: “I want to know what happened.”The road and hospital car park adjacent to the Emergency Department (ED) became flooded and a low level of water leaked into the ED’s reception and administrative areas. The hospital’s ED went off call for three hours from 8pm to 11pm to expedite the clean up after which services returned to normal.Clinical areas in the ED and hospital services in general were not affected. “The investigation is obviously at a very early stage but the culvert was not blocked,” said SeanMurphy.“Last year (on July 26) the main cause of the flooding incident was the fact that the screens became blocked and prevented water from entering the culvert causing the Sprackburn Tributary to overflow, wiping out 40% of the floor space of LGH and eliminating more than 70% of the hospital’s capacity at that time. Last night’s damage was considerably less that last year’s and the ED was re-opened after three hours with no other hospital services affected.“There are already improved interim flood management arrangements in place at Letterkenny General Hospital with additional CCTV monitoring and regular inspection of flows and levels in the stream. This also includes the location of a digger onsite and access on a 24-hour basis to a roster of drivers to provide rapid emergency response, as required by the hospital’s insurers.“The West / North West Hospitals Group has been granted planning permission from Donegal County Council for the construction of a new storm flow routing pipe and associated works at Letterkenny General Hospital (LGH). “Site works have commenced and are scheduled for completion in autumn 2014. The flood management works, including the new culvert, are estimated to cost approximately €1m.“As stated, our investigation is at an early stage. It appears that the interim flood management measures worked well as the culvert was kept clear and other steps such as sandbagging of vulnerable areas were put into place.“We will publish the conclusions of our investigation – as we did with the flood management strategy and two engineering reports from the previous incident – and we will review the flood management strategy in light of the new findings.“We are not going to speculate as to what these findings will be. We will publish the result of the investigation as soon as is feasible. More than anyone else in Donegal, we want answers.“I want to acknowledge the hospital staff, the ambulance service, the staff at Sligo Regional and Altagelvin Hospitals, our local GPs, the fire service, the council and the Gardaí for their cooperation. “We regret any inconvenience caused to patients and their families.”‘WE WANT ANSWERS TOO’ SAYS HOSPITAL MANAGER MURPHY was last modified: August 6th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:answersfloodletterkenny hospitalSean Murphy
A BJP booth level leader was shot dead and a party worker seriously injured when unidentified miscreants attacked them in West Bengal’s Paschim Burdwan district, police said Monday.The BJP booth level president Sandip Ghosh and party worker Jaidip Banerjee were returning home after attending a meeting when they were attacked by the miscreants at Malandighi Saraswatigunj area of the district on Sunday night, they said. Banerjee has been admitted to a private hospital in Durgapur. Bijay Ghosh, the father of the deceased, said his son had told him that he was going to attend a picnic. The BJP alleged that Ghosh was killed by TMC goons. Denying the allegations, a Trinammol Congress district leader said that BJP’s internal party rivalry was responsible for Ghosh’s death.
Roger Federer will begin his Olympic campaign against Alejandro Falla, the Colombian who almost humiliated the great Swiss at Wimbledon in 2010.Federer, who won a seventh Wimbledon title earlier this month, had to come back from two sets to love down at the All England Club to beat Falla in the first round two years ago with the Colombian losing his nerve on Centre Court when he served for the match at 5-4 in the fourth set.Top-seeded Federer, who is appearing at his fourth Olympics, has been placed in the same half of the draw as fourth seed David Ferrer, who will play Vasek Pospisil of Canada.”Federer is the favourite whenever he plays here,” said Falla.”I know him well and he knows me well, too. I’m going to have to play my best if I am going to have a chance to win this match but he’s Roger and he’s just won Wimbledon for the seventh year here.”Second seed Novak Djokovic, the 2008 Beijing Olympics bronze medallist, will challenge Fabio Fognini of Italy in the first round.Djokovic is in the same half of the draw as third-seeded Briton Andy Murray, who faces Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland.Fifth seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France will meet Brazil’s Thomaz Bellucci, the recent Gstaad Open winner.Missing from the men’s draw is defending champion Rafael Nadal who pulled out of the tournament through injury.In the women’s singles, the Williams sisters both face tricky opponents in the first round.Wimbledon champion Serena, seeded four, plays Serbia’s Jelena Jankovic while Venus tackles Italy’s ninth seed Sara Errani, the French Open runner-up.advertisementSerena and Venus are two-time doubles gold medallists, while Venus also won the singles gold medal in Sydney in 2000.Top seeded Victoria Azarenka of Belarus is up against Romania’s Irina-Camelia Begu, second-seeded Pole Agnieszka Radwanska faces Germany’s Julia Goerges.Third seeded Russian, Maria Sharapova, the 2004 Wimbledon champion, plays Shahar Peer of Israel.There is a 64-draw for the men’s and women’s singles, with 16 players seeded in each event, and a 32-draw for the men’s and women’s doubles, with eight teams seeded in each event.Mixed doubles, which is making a return to the Olympics as a medal sport for the first time since the Paris Games of 1924, will have a 16-draw, with four teams seeded.The draw for the mixed doubles is being held mid-way through the tennis event on July 31.