With seven semesters behind them and one to go, more than 150 seniors will spend time reflecting on their Notre Dame experiences at the Senior Retreat this weekend, according to head organizer and senior Erin Connors. “It’s going to be a great weekend,” she said. “We’re focusing on how to cherish the last five months of our senior year beyond the last things to check off the ‘bucket list.’” Connors has been planning the retreat with senior Andrew Bell and 18 other students since Oct. 30. The retreat begins at 3:30 p.m. today and concludes Saturday evening with a closing dinner. “This is an opportunity to reflect on the last three and a half years,” Bell said. “Some reflections will be shared by the planning team to start conversation in small groups.” Bell said in planning, the team considered what seniors needed as their time at Notre Dame drew to a close. “It’s been interesting planning parts of a retreat knowing they’re for our friends and classmates, and, at the same time, for us. At the heart of what we’re hoping for is to provide an opportunity to pause when we’re at a time as seniors that everyone is telling you to go, go — to hurry,” Bell said. “It’s a moment to pause and reflect on changes.” While this year’s retreat follows a general pattern set by the past six retreats, the content is new because the planning team is different, said Fr. Joe Carey, the interim director of Campus Ministry. Carey led the Senior Retreat for the last six sessions, though Senior Retreats have occurred on campus since the 1970s. “It makes me proud to be at Notre Dame,” he said. “It’s different every year because of the team. It’s [a new retreat] in that it’s [the planning committee’s] experiences – they really capture all of the things Notre Dame students face.” In the past, the retreat has been career-focused, with alumni speaking on life after college, Carey said. The aim for the last few years has been for a more spiritual exploration. “This year we have added a talk that two people are giving on gratitude. We want attendees to see who to be thankful for,” he said. “The retreat is starting a process of reflection through this weekend, the next four months and beyond.” Carey assembled the planning committee over the summer, purposefully picking leaders he felt could bring together a successful retreat. “It’s seniors leading seniors,” he said. “We were gathering a team of student leaders, and we came up with a team from various facets of Notre Dame that will enable attendees to grow.” In addition to this weekend’s retreat, three more Notre Dame Encounters and two Freshman Retreats will happen before the school year’s end, Carey said. “They have a different feeling than this retreat — and anyone can participate in the Notre Dame Encounters,” he said. “They are also smaller, with the limit set at 50 people.” More information on the retreats is available at campusministry.nd.edu.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Nassau PBA President James Carver.The Nassau County police union that represents the officer who tragically shot and killed a Hofstra University student last week is backing him “100 percent” and defending him from those criticizing his actions during the home invasion.Nassau County Police Benevolent Association President James Carver expressed his condolences to 21-year-old Andrea Rebello’s family during his first public appearance since the robbery, saying, “[I] can’t imagine the pain that they’re going through right now.”But, Carver made clear that outsiders should point the finger at 30-year-old Dalton Smith, a career criminal from Hempstead who had recently absconded from parole after his early release from prison in February, instead of the 12-year Nassau police veteran, who hasn’t been identified.“There’s only person responsible for what happened early Friday morning,” Carver blasted. “And that’s the ex-con that was on parole and while on parole violated his parole and was still out there to commit more violent crimes as he did the other day.”“There’s some second guessing going on by people who think we should’ve stayed outside the house,” he added. “But our job is to get inside there and make sure we can protect as many people as we can.”Carver declined to go into the details about the case, citing the ongoing investigation. The Nassau County District Attorney’s office is also looking into the incident as it does “every police involved shooting,” a spokesman said. Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano said that Police Commissioner Thomas Dale “will conduct a complete and thorough investigation of this terrible tragedy,” according to a county spokeswoman.The parolee, Smith, used Rebello as a human shield as he tried to make it out of the house during a failed robbery attempt Friday around 2:20 a.m. Three of the four occupants, including Rebello’s twin sister, had already made it to safety when Smith put Rebello in a headlock, tucked her close to his chest, and pointed his .9mm at the officer before the officer fired eight shots—one hitting Rebello in the head, according to police.Andrea Rebello (Photo: Instagram)The officer was taken to the hospital after the incident and has since been interviewed by investigators, Carver said.Officers are often criticized for their actions despite the unpredictable nature of police work, the union boss noted, adding that fellow officers stand “100 percent” behind their fellow officer.His voice rising at times, Carver laced into critics that have questioned why the two responding officers didn’t wait for a hostage negotiation team to arrive before going into the dark house after Rebello’s friend, allowed to leave to retrieve Smith more cash from an ATM, called 911.“When you respond to a call you don’t wait around the block and wait for your backup to come,” he said. “What we’re trained to do is respond immediately there and we take action. That’s what we do.”“A split second decision will now become second guessed and criticized by those that never went to a police academy, never once responded to a call with a man with a gun,” Carver added.Rebello’s uncle, Henrique Santos, has been the first close family member to express his frustration with the officer, telling The Journal News, that “he should’ve negotiated,” with Smith.The uncle also added, “He should have hit the guy with the first shot, not eight.”Carver noted that he has no problem with the uncle expressing his frustration with police.“I understand why he second guesses,” he said. “They lost a family member, they lost a loved one and it’s a very emotional time for them. I understand his thoughts in this matter.”He also called on the parole board and lawmakers to examine how dangerous criminals such as Smith are allowed back onto the streets.Smith, whose rap sheet dates back 14 years, had served nine of his 10 year sentence for attempted robbery and criminal possession of a weapon when he was conditionally released on May 5, 2012, according to New York State Department of Correction and Community Supervision spokesman Tom Mailey.Police said Dalton Smith of Hempstead was the masked gunman that sparked a police-involved shooting that killed him and a Hofstra student on Friday.He absconded the first time in July 2012 and was arrested.“On October 5, 2012 an Administrative Law Judge, with independent decision-making authority, gave Smith a 12 month time assessment, with the condition that his parole would be restored if he entered and successfully completed a 90 day drug treatment program,” Mailey said in a statement.Smith completed the program in February and was released to Post Release Supervision. He failed to make contact with his parole officer on April 23 and then left his approved residence. That’s when police issued a warrant for his arrest.“A team from Parole started following up on leads, and checking his past residences and other locations he was known to frequent,” Mailey said.The officer is currently with close friends and family and is on sick leave, Carver said.Rebello’s friends and family will say their final goodbye at a funeral service in Sleepy Hollow on Wednesday.
West Ham ended Newcastle’s winning streak with a 1-0 victory at Upton Park where the visitors had midfielder Moussa Sissoko sent off late on. Both sides took a while to grow into the match, which offered little of note during the opening exchanges. After eight minutes, Stewart Downing, fit again after a knee problem, sent in a low shot from 20 yards which was comfortably gathered by Rob Elliot, who replaced injured Tim Krul in the Newcastle goal. Newcastle threatened on the break when Sissoko fed Ayoze Perez down the left and the Spaniard went on to the edge of the penalty area, but James Tomkins got back to clear. There was a brief stoppage when the same defender – criticised for apparent play-acting in an altercation with Everton’s Kevin Mirallas last weekend – went down after being caught in the face by the outstretched boot of Andy Carroll as the forward blocked a cross from the right. After 37 minutes, a flick at the near post from Perez after a cross from the left went into the side-netting. The West Ham supporters in the Sir Trevor Brooking Stand were screaming for a penalty as former Newcastle man Carroll crashed the ball at Mike Williamson, which looked to hit him on the underside of the upper arm, but referee Mike Dean was not interested. At the start of the second half there was more urgency about the hosts, who had drawn their last home match 0-0 against Aston Villa, with Downing charging down the left before curling a 20-yard effort over. There was a let-off for Newcastle when a deep free-kick from James Collins caused panic in the penalty box, with Elliot completely missing his attempted punch clear, and the ball bounced wide for a corner. The Irons, who had not won since beating Manchester City before the international break, edged a match of few chances with a neat finish from defender Aaron Cresswell, his first goal for the club, after 56 minutes. Newcastle, who had surged into the top five following six successive Barclays Premier League wins, never really got going, and any hope of a comeback went with 15 minutes left when Sissoko received two careless yellow cards in quick succession. West Ham were ahead after 56 minutes. Downing fed Cheikhou Kouyate at the edge of the box. His scuffed shot fell straight into the path of advancing full-back Cresswell, who guided the ball into the bottom corner for his first goal since moving from Ipswich. Newcastle, who had kept four clean sheets going into the match, made a double change on the hour when Papiss Cisse and Remy Cabella replaced Yoan Gouffran and Cheick Tiote. The visitors, though, continued to lack a cutting edge in the final third as West Ham were dangerous on the counter-attack. Newcastle had to play the final 15 minutes with 10 men after Sissoko was ordered off. First the France midfielder kicked the ball away after a foul against him in the West Ham penalty area, and then bundled into Carroll as the referee reached for his pocket once again. In the closing stages, Elliot pushed a curling shot from substitute Mauro Zarate around the post and Downing dragged an effort wide after a surging run down the left. Press Association
Wisconsin senior guard Alyssa Karel knows UW must limit turnovers to upend the Bulldogs.[/media-credit]The Wisconsin women’s basketball team (2-6) cannot seem to put together their strongest performances in the right games, but will be looking to do that and break a seven-game losing stretch against the Drake Bulldogs (5-2) Thursday.Facing head coach Lisa Stone’s former school – she coached the Bulldogs from 2000 to 2003 – this could be a great opportunity for the Badgers to end their losing streak with a road victory at the Knapp Center. However, Wisconsin still needs to improve on several aspects of their game if they want to come out of Des Moines with a win.“We’ve been focusing on rebounding, taking care of the ball and getting the ball inside and out with the post,” freshman guard Morgan Paige said. “The last couple games we’ve been doing better with the defensive rebounding, and it’s just the amount of turnovers that we’re really struggling with and the full court pressure.”Although UW had some defensive struggles earlier this year, they have held their last three opponents, including a very talented Duke squad, to less than 60 points and will look for the same defensive intensity against Drake.However, turnovers have certainly been a major issue for the Badgers all year, and it was no more detrimental to the team than in their last game against Oklahoma State, when they handed the ball over 25 times, the most this season. Wisconsin’s last three losses have all come by eight points or less, proof that these specific issues are holding the team back right now.“A lot of these games are so close, and if we just had decreased our turnovers by four or five turnovers, we might have gotten some of these wins,” senior guard Alyssa Karel said. “So I think just definitely taking care of the ball should be our focus.”Drake may not be the most highly touted or flashy team the Badgers have faced so far, but the Missouri Valley Conference opponent relies on a good shooting game to put up an average of 68.3 points per game. Shooting almost 43 percent from the field and 36.9 percent from beyond the arc, the Bulldogs’ offense will not be easy to slow down.As a mid-major opponent, Drake could also be looking to make a statement against a more recognized Big Ten squad in Wisconsin.“Drake’s a great opponent,” assistant coach Ty Margenthaler said. “They play physical…this is a game where I guarantee you they circled on their calendar. They’ve got a Big Ten opponent coming in their gym, so we definitely have to be ready.”The Bulldogs’ high-scoring offense is led by senior guard Kristin Turk, who averages nearly 20 points per game. On the defensive end, junior forward Rachael Hackbarth grabs an average of seven rebounds per game to go along with more than 12 points per contest.Despite the inside presence of Hackbarth, the UW coaching staff believes the team will find most of their offensive success on the inside with their post players. Since Drake is a relatively undersized team, the game could be won in the paint for the Badgers.“One thing I think we really need to take advantage of is our strength and size; some of the bigger schools that have played them have done that,” Margenthaler said. “And that’s something we’re going to try to do…get the ball inside to Lin[Zastrow] and Tara [Steinbauer] and Anya [Covington]…so I’m hoping that in a 40 minute game, that will take over.”Giving up an average of 61.1 points per game, Wisconsin should be able to put up some points against a more offensively-minded team.Despite their recent losses, many of which were very close, the Badgers are keeping things in perspective and remembering that the conference season has not even started yet. If the team can get these basic issues resolved now, then they will be playing better in the most important part of the season.“I think it’s just a matter of getting over that hump. We’re so close; we do a lot of things right every game,” Karel said. “But, it’s just a matter of putting it all together, and I think these first games can be the hardest.”