Shelby

Tony Blair faces threat of new parliamentary investigation over Iraq

Posted on

first_imgTony Blair could face a fresh investigation over the Iraq war with a group of MPs preparing to table a motion calling for a new inquiry.The former prime minister raised his political profile last week with a pledge to support the “politically homeless” who are unhappy with both the Labour Party under Jeremy Corbyn and Theresa May’s Brexit-backing administration.The Observer reported that MPs from six parties want a committee to examine the difference in Mr Blair’s evidence to the Chilcot Inquiry and the private assurances he gave to George W Bush in the run up to the Iraq conflict.MPs will debate the motion on Wednesday in a debate allotted to the SNP. It calls on MPs to recognise that the inquiry “provided substantial evidence of misleading information presented by the then prime minister and others on the development of the then government’s policy towards the invasion of Iraq, as shown most clearly in the contrast between private correspondence to the United States government and public statements to Parliament and people”.In addition, it has asked the Commons public administration and constitutional affairs committee to investigate what it describes as a difference between private and public policy.The motion’s sponsors include Alex Salmond, the SNP MP and former first minister of Scotland; Hywel Williams, Westminster leader of Plaid Cymru; and Green Party co-leader Caroline Lucas. Mr Salmond said the committee could even recommend that Mr Blair is stripped of his membership of the Privy Council.When he appeared before the Commons liaison committee, Sir John Chilcot said “I absolve him [Blair] from a personal and demonstrable decision to deceive parliament or the public – to state falsehoods, knowing them to be false.”A spokesman for the former prime minister declined to comment.center_img Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings.last_img read more

16yearold describes callup to Windies Women as once in a lifetime

Posted on

Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedWWT20: Hayley Matthews named WINDIES women Vice CaptainNovember 8, 2018In “latest news”Sandals Int’l Home Series: Windies women to face South Africa in three ODIs and five T20IsSeptember 10, 2018In “latest news”Beaton could be an asset to WI Test squad, says Coach DanielsMarch 1, 2017In “latest news” LEICESTER, England (CMC) Teenager Qiana Joseph has described her call-up to the West Indies Women’s side for the ICC Cricket World Cup as a “once in a lifetime opportunity” and is hoping to make the most of the chance once she breaks into the starting XI.Qiana Joseph of St. Lucia was called to West Indies Women’s Cricket TeamThe 16-year-old left-arm seamer is the youngest member of the side and is one of four uncapped players in the 15-member squad for the June 24 to July 23 campaign.“It means a lot to me and my family because this opportunity comes once in a lifetime and when you get an opportunity like that you must make the best out of it,” said the St Lucian during the training camp at the Ageas Bowl which wrapped up in Southampton on Monday.“I wasn’t surprised because this year I worked very hard to be a member of the team.” Joseph managed seven wickets at an average of 15 during the Regional Super50 in the Caribbean recently, impressing selectors with her potential.She was subsequently picked for the tour of England in order to gain experience but she said once the chance presented itself, she would look to make her mark.“If I get the opportunity to play I will make the best out of it. If I get the opportunity to bowl I want to take at least three wickets in that game,” he said.“I will be working on my fitness and accuracy in my bowling.” read more