N.C. State Chancellor Randy Woodson announced that the school will begin classes nine days earlier than originally scheduled and forgo fall break to also finish by Thanksgiving. Students will not return to campus for the remainder of the year and winter commencement will be announced later.___East Carolina is eliminating its men’s and women’s tennis and swimming and diving programs to help reduce a $4.9 million budget deficit.The move affects 68 student-athletes and nine coaches and reduces ECU’s sponsored sports from 20 to 16, including nine for women. The NCAA requires Division I FBS schools to carry minimums of 16 sports, eight for women.“The coaches and student-athletes for these respective sports have all impacted our department and the Pirate Family in a positive manner,” athletic director Jon Gilbert said in a release. “This decision was not made lightly. The history and success of the swimming and diving programs and the tennis programs will continue to be celebrated at East Carolina.” The open-wheel series, which is slated to finally begin June 6 at Texas Motor Speedway, said Thursday the June 27 race in Richmond, Virginia, and the street course race in Toronto on July 12 have been canceled. IndyCar will not race after Texas until an event July 4 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The race scheduled for June 21 at Road America in Wisconsin has been changed to a doubleheader on July 11-12.The season finale had already been changed to Oct. 25 on the streets of St. Petersburg, Florida, which was scheduled as the season opener before the series was suspended March 13.___Some Louisville football and basketball players will return to campus Wednesday in a phased approach and begin voluntary workouts on June 8. Associated Press The Premier League hasn’t provided details of the broadcasting rebate.___The governing body of swimming has postponed the short course world championships for a year because of the coronavirus pandemic.FINA says the championships scheduled for December in Abu Dhabi will now be staged Dec. 13-18, 2021, in the United Arab Emirates because of the “the uncertainty related with the evolution of the COVID-19 pandemic worldwide.”FINA president Julio C. Maglione says swimming organizers have worked closely with the United Arab Emirates’ authorities and “we believe this is the most suitable solution for all those taking part in this competition.” Most of the money is going to the Detroit Public Schools Community District ($50,000), the Detroit Public Schools Foundation ($50,000), as well as the Boys & Girls Clubs of Southeastern Michigan, the Detroit Police Athletic League and Brilliant Detroit ($140,000). The donations will support efforts to help families receive meals and childcare during the COVID-19 crisis, and to help students access online resources.The remaining $10,000 will support a philanthropic collaboration organized by G1 Impact to hire Detroiters to manufacture 100,000 reusable, hospital-grade masks for children and families in Detroit.___Pittsburgh Penguins owners Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle are each contributing $100,000 to assist local health outlets dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic.The joint $200,000 donation will be split equally between Highmark Health and University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. The Highmark Health donation is earmarked for creating a mobile COVID-19 testing unit that will focus on under-served populations in the Pittsburgh area. The first phase of 30 football players and 15 men’s and women’s basketball players will arrive next week after being advised of safety protocols. Testing and physicals will begin June 3, with voluntary training not directed by coaching staffs to begin five days later. Training will take place at three facilities with limited capacity.Pending additional direction from the NCAA, Louisville can include up to 15 swimming and diving athletes in the phase and open its natatorium with limited capacity. The next phase of 30 football players and 60 Olympic sport athletes would arrive June 10 and begin training June 22 with additional facilities open.Safety measures to minimize the spread of coronavirus will include wearing masks, passing daily symptom checks, physical distancing, and using gloves and hand sanitizers.___Miguel Cabrera and his wife Rosangel are partnering with the Detroit Tigers Foundation to donate $250,000 to organizations in Detroit that serve families and children. May 21, 2020 The donation to UPMC will benefit the UPMC Children’s Hospital Helpers Fund, which supports families and caregivers who are impacted by COVID-19.___North Carolina and North Carolina State will begin fall classes on Aug. 10 and forgo fall breaks in order to finish by Thanksgiving to get ahead of a potential second wave of COVID-19.UNC Chancellor Kevin M. Guskiewicz introduced a Roadmap for Fall in a letter Thursday that includes “off ramps” options if conditions change. Class sizes will be reduced with time extended between classes, some of which may be conducted remotely.Faculty and staff will return in a phased approach and should initially expect staggered and alternating work schedules. UNC will also emphasize adherence to public health guidelines, including physical distancing, wearing face coverings and increased hand washing. The school will observe Labor Day and University Day and complete the semester by Nov. 24. ECU interim Chancellor Ron Mitchelson stated that the athletic budget was not sustainable pre-COVID-19. The deficit began to grow significantly with the pandemic where the impact was immediate and would affect future revenue and expenses.ECU will honor scholarships for athletes who remain at the school. ___The National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame has canceled its induction ceremony in August because of health and safety concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic.Hall of Fame president John Hendrickson says the museum believes it’s “in the best interests of everyone involved and for the integrity of the event to postpone the ceremony for a year.” The player, staff member and staff member’s contact person must now go into quarantine at home for 14 days.Dresden’s entire team was ordered by local health authorities into 14 days of quarantine on May 9 after two players tested positive.The club says that all players who tested positive before were cleared in the fourth and fifth wave of tests and that they and the rest of the team will be able to resume training on Saturday.Dresden was scheduled to play at Hannover last Sunday but couldn’t participate because of the quarantine order. That game was rescheduled for June 3.Dresden is scheduled to resume play on May 31 against Stuttgart. A general congress to elect the FINA Bureau for the years 2021-25 will be staged in Doha, Qatar, on June 5, 2021. The new members of the bureau will start their terms immediately after the Tokyo Olympics in 2021.The short course world championships are held in a 25-meter pool. The FINA world championships and the Olympics are staged in 50-meter pools.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 ___Manchester United says it believes it will miss out on $24 million because the Premier League will have to make refunds to broadcasters even if the pandemic-disrupted season is completed.The league is in talks with its rights holders about rebates because of delays and changes to the broadcasting schedule. The season was suspended in March.Empty stadiums will also change the TV product.The rebates will vary based on the final position in the standings and the number of games aired live. United is in fifth place with nine games remaining. The Latest: IndyCar makes more revisions to its schedule Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___IndyCar has made more revisions to its schedule because of the coronavirus pandemic. The Hall of Fame ceremony was scheduled for Friday, Aug. 7, in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. This year’s class includes trainer Mark Casse, jockey Darrel McHargue, horses Wise Dan and Tom Bowling, and Pillars of the Turf Alice Headley Chandler, Keene Daingerfield, Jr., and George D. Widener, Jr. They will be inducted with the class of 2021.The 44th Annual Museum Ball scheduled for Aug. 14 also was canceled. It’s traditionally one of the highlights of the Saratoga summer social season.___German soccer club Dynamo Dresden has reported another case of coronavirus. The already quarantined second-division club has now had four players test positive.Dresden says on its website that the latest positive result was found in a fifth wave of tests conducted on Wednesday. It adds that another “category one” close contact of its coaching staff has also tested positive for COVID-19.
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisRogers City- Singing and dancing fill the stage over at Rogers City Theater as the cast and crew prepare to pull off one of the most lively musicals to hit the stage.“Shrek The Musical” is based off the film, Shrek, which follows the story of an Ogre and Donkey through the mythical land of Far Far Away. The biggest difference between the movie and the musical is the styles of music, encompassing a wide spectrum of styles and rhythms.Rogers City Theater has not had a true back-to-back sellout since 2004 which was a high school performance of Annie. Actor William Burrel-Reece is excited for his performance and ready to be back on the stage.“We’re going to show you a lot of things that haven’t come out of this theatre in a long time,” said Burrel-Reece who will be a jack of all trades in the show.The show takes the stage March 9-11 & 16-18. Friday and Saturday shows are at 7:30pm with Sunday matinees at 2:00pm. Tickets are $12 for adults and $6. You can purchase them at the door.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Ella White Ensures Teachers and Students are safe after yesterday’s scareNext Alpena County Sheriff’s Office sets the standards for school safety
Calgary Flames head coach Bill Peters issues statement, apology for racial slur: ‘There is no excuse’
As the Calgary Flames were wrapping up a four-game road trip in Buffalo against the Sabres on Wednesday night, head coach Bill Peters was sending a statement via email to general manager Brad Treliving. “Please accept this as a sincere apology to you, and the entire Calgary Flames organization, for offensive language I used in a professional setting a decade ago,” the statement, which he also sent to TSN’s Bob McKenzie and Sportnet’s Eric Francis at the same time as Treliving, read. “I know that my comments have been the source of both anger and disappointment, and I understand why.” A statement from Bill Peters, in the form of a letter to CGY GM Brad Treliving:: pic.twitter.com/YouP6ZABrm— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) November 28, 2019Allegations were levied against Peters on Monday by former player Akim Aliu via Twitter in response to the Toronto Maple Leafs’ firing of head coach Mike Babcock last week. Peters was a member of Babcock’s staff in Detroit and was Aliu’s head coach in 2009-10 with the Chicago Blackhawks’ American Hockey League affiliate, the Rockford IceHogs.Not very surprising the things we’re hearing about Babcock. Apple doesn’t fall far from the Tree, same sort of deal with his protege in YYC. Dropped the N bomb several times towards me in the dressing room in my rookie year because he didn’t like my choice of music. First one to— Akim Aliu (@Dreamer_Aliu78) November 26, 2019admit I rebelled against him. Wouldn’t you? And instead of remedying the situation, he wrote a letter to John McDonough and Stan Bowman to have me sent down to the ECHL. 20 year old on pace for 20 goals in his first pro year with zero PP/PK time was off to a great start in his— Akim Aliu (@Dreamer_Aliu78) November 26, 2019In a TSN interview with Frank Seravalli, Aliu recalled the specific interaction with Peters before an IceHogs morning skate in the locker room.“He walked in before a morning pregame skate and said ‘Hey, Akim, I’m sick of you playing that n— s—,’” Aliu said of Peters’ reaction to his decision to play hip-hop music in the locker room. “He said, ‘I’m sick of hearing this n—s f— other n—s in the ass stuff.’ “He then walked out like nothing ever happened. You could hear a pin drop in the room, everything went dead silent. I just sat down in my stall, didn’t say a word.”The event, which was corroborated by two teammates who witnessed it, was what Peters called an “isolated and immediately regrettable incident” and that he “was rightfully challenged about my use of language, and I immediately returned to the dressing room to apologize to the team.” However, Aliu told TSN on Tuesday that Peters never apologized and said in his office afterward, “You know, I’m just sick of this n— s—. It’s every day. From now on, we need to play different music.”Peters, who reportedly left Buffalo earlier Wednesday and returned to Calgary, added in the statement that, “I have regretted the incident since it happened, and I now also apologize to anyone negatively affected by my words. I am aware that there is no excuse for language that is offensive.”I meant no disrespect in what I said, and it was not directed at anyone in particular. But, that doesn’t matter; it was hurtful and demeaning. I am truly sorry. I accept the reality of my actions.”While the letter addressed and acknowledged that Peters did use a racial slur, it did not discuss the other allegations involving physical abuse that have come to light in the last few days. Those tweets by former Carolina Hurricanes player Michal Jordan were confirmed by then-assistant coach, and current Hurricanes head coach, Rod Brind’Amour on Wednesday.Aliu responded to Peters’ apology with a statement that says he found his former coach’s words “misleading, insincere and concerning.” Statement from Akim Aliu: pic.twitter.com/z4v2UQLnox— Frank Seravalli (@frank_seravalli) November 28, 2019The Flames have been conducting an investigation since the tweets first surfaced and have spoken at length with Peters, Aliu and members of the Blackhawks organization. Peters did not coach Wednesday night’s 3-2 overtime victory; associate head coach Geoff Ward served as head coach with assistant coach (and usually the coach in the press box) Martin Gelinas and assistant general manager Craig Conroy joining him on the bench. Following the game, Treliving told reporters they hope to have an update on the investigation on Thursday.”It’s been a difficult three days for everyone, Treliving said. “We’ve tried to be as open as transparent as possible . . . I know everybody wants everything done immediately [and] the world we live in is immediate. We are not trying to stall or take time or drag our feet. It’s a serious matter. And it’s involving serious subject matter.”And I just want to make sure that we are doing a thorough job in looking under every stone [and] rock and doing all the things that we need to be done.”
Advertisement 5pkNBA Finals | Brooklyn VskWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Ea2vl( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) t09voWould you ever consider trying this?😱rtqr8Can your students do this? 🌚1l2cyRoller skating! Powered by Firework The Boxing federation of India has selected a ten-member contingent to lead the country’s medal hopes at the Women’s World Boxing Championships in the Russian City of Ulan Ude, which starts this Thursday onwards. With ten boxers, one in each weight category, India will start their campaign led by the veteran boxer Mary Kom (51kg), alongside the experienced Sarita Devi (60 kg).Advertisement The six-time World champion Mary Kom, who won all of her medals in the 48kg category, has jumped to the 51kg while chasing her Olympic dream. Lovlina Borgohain, the 69kg bronze medallist, is the only boxer to return to the championship in the same weight. Another promising boxer, the mighty Saweety Boora, has also reduced her weight to prepare for the Olympics, in the 75kg trials. There will also be spotlight on the non-Olympic categories like 48kg and 54kg, in which India has sent her two of the finest boxers Manju Rani and Jamuna Boro, respectively.Advertisement On Wednesday Mary Kom was handed a bye into the pre-quarterfinals and will begin her campaign on October 8 against a yet to be decided opponent. Five other Indian players also got first-round byes into the different stages depending on the size of the draw. However, none of them will be in action on the opening day of the mega-event.Last year, India as a host, had an impressive tally securing one gold, one silver and two bronze medals in Delhi.Here is the full Indian squad: Manju Rani (48kg), M C Mary Kom (51kg), Jamuna Boro (54kg), Neeraj (57kg), Sarita Devi (60kg), Manju Bomboriya (64kg), Lovlina Borgohain (69kg), Saweety Boora (75kg), Nandini (81kg), Kavita Chahal (+81kg). Advertisement