Members of the Ocean City High School boys and girls cross country teams wait for their flight to take them to the Disney Classic races in Orlando, Fla. (Photos provided by cross country teams) By LESLEY GRAHAMThere’s a lot that goes into the preparation for a cross country race. Miles are run, pasta eaten, shoes laced, lucky socks laundered and ready for race day.What generally is not accounted for is a canceled flight that leaves over 70 Ocean City cross country runners and coaches stranded at the Philadelphia airport with no way to travel to the Disney Classic in Orlando.The boys and girls cross country teams departed for Philadelphia International Airport after school on Thursday, with a scheduled flight to Orlando International Airport that evening.After receiving notification of the flight being delayed twice and eventually canceled, the coaches began notifying students and parents of their impending return to Ocean City, since their original airline was unable to get a flight out to Orlando until the following Wednesday – well past scheduled race time.Members of the Ocean City High School boys cross country team pose in front of the ESPN Wide World of Sports sign at Disney World.According to Assistant Coach Steve Hoffman, the coaches were already alerting the bus company to transport the team back to Ocean City. Parents were arriving at the airport to make sure there were enough options to get everyone home safely.“It was really overwhelming how many people were willing to help us when we needed it the most,” Hoffman said.Little did the coaches know, the help wouldn’t stop with friends and family. Some members of the team were working on Plan B. Instead of being defeated and calling it a night, the Ocean City team took to social media, hoping for a miracle. And Delta Air Lines answered their prayers. Well, more specifically, their tweet.Drake Castañeda, a spokesperson for Delta, said the airline was alerted through its digital media team that a high school team was stuck in Philadelphia trying to make it to Disney.“No one even batted an eye that it wasn’t an originally scheduled Delta flight that was canceled. It was just an opportunity to do the right thing,” Castañeda said in a phone interview Sunday.In less than two hours from the time of being notified via social media, Delta had secured a plane, a crew and all the necessary logistics to fly the OCHS cross country teams to Orlando to compete in the Disney Classic.Members of the girls cross country team at the Disney Classic.Philadelphia to Orlando is not a normal direct route for Delta because Philadelphia does not serve as one of its major hubs. There was not a fleet of spare planes laying in wait in case of emergency. But Delta felt the need to help the stranded runners have the opportunity to compete, Castañeda said.“It’s amazing but not surprising. The competitive advantage is gained by taking care of people, and we encourage all our employees to do the right thing and lead by example,” Castañeda said.After what was originally scheduled as a 6 p.m. departure from Philadelphia, the team members were now flying in the wee hours of the morning, taking off just after 4 a.m. Following a two-hour flight, both teams were checked in and ready to race by 8 a.m. – a good thing since the race started at 10 a.m.Emma Sardy, a senior on the girls team, said the whole experience was overwhelming.“We had been waiting for hours, and after months of training the thought of not getting to the race was devastating. We are all so grateful that Delta helped our team and made our trip possible,” Sardy said of the ordeal.Assistant Coach Hoffman echoed Sardy’s sentiments. “The amount of effort and compassion Delta had to save a flight that wasn’t even theirs to begin with was amazing,” he said. “We always talk about being present in the moment and enjoying the experience.”Thanks to Delta’s efforts going above and beyond, the teams were able to do just that.The crowd applauds during the races.
A Downing Street spokesperson said: The Prime Minister spoke to Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern of New Zealand this evening. She began by saying how appalled and shocked she had been to hear about Friday’s terrorist attack in Christchurch, and offered her condolences to all those affected. The leaders discussed the swift and exemplary response of New Zealand’s security and health services and the numerous acts of bravery carried out by police and other first responders. The Prime Minister said that the UK stands with New Zealand at this time and would provide whatever assistance is needed. Prime Minister Ardern expressed her gratitude for the support the UK has shown.
The Saint Mary’s senate met Wednesday to discuss this year’s objectives and budgets for the College’s student organizations.Senior student body president McKenna Schuster chairs the SMC senate, which is the only voting body on campus. The Senate’s main responsibility is to ensure each club and sports team receives adequate funding.Senior vice president of finance Marissa Pie said each of the College’s 54 recognized student groups begins with a budget of $100, and athletic clubs receive $1,000.Student groups also have the chance to apply for travel grants and sponsorships, Schuster said.The Council of Clubs, which is composed of presidents from each student club and group, approves all sponsorship funds, Pie said.This year, Schuster said one of the Senate’s main objectives is to keep the student body updated about its decisions and actions.“In order to be transparent and keep the student body informed, we are emphasizing the importance of town-hall style meetings,” she said.The Senate also aims to simplify the budget for recognized clubs and sports teams and make it more comprehensive and available to the student body, Schuster said. There were some concerns with the allocation of last year’s funds, she said.“We formed this year’s budget after carefully analyzing last year’s budget,” Shuster said. “A great amount of thought and research was put into this year’s allocations.”The senate also hopes to create incentives for students to participate in school events and spirit weeks, such as the Navy Dance and Love Your Body Week.Schuster said she would like to see increased attendance at athletic competitions, social events and lectures.“Students will receive a punch card to record their attendance at various events,” she said. “When the punch card is filled out, prizes will be offered. It’s a fun incentive.”Tags: Budget, Council of Clubs, Saint Mary’s Senate
Ohio Utilities Consider Next Steps Following FERC Subsidy Decision FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享WKSU:Ohio utilities are considering their next steps after federal regulators knocked down a measure that would have allowed subsidies for struggling power plants. But, there are still options from state lawmakers.The proposal would have allowed utilities to charge their customers an extra fee to help prop up power plants that struggle to compete in the market. But the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission denied the measure.The outspoken head of the nation’s largest private coal-mining company, Robert Murray of Ohio-based Murray Energy Corp., called the action by FERC “a bureaucratic cop-out” that will raise the cost of electricity and jeopardize jobs and the reliability and security of the nation’s electric grid.But opponents who call these subsidies bailouts say this is a major victory and should send a clear message that these proposals are not needed. Sierra Club’s Neil Waggoner points out that four of the five members of FERC were appointed by President Donald Trump. “This isn’t just some sort of partisan issue. This is very much experts in the field saying these bailouts do not make any sense,” Waggoner said.If the plan sounds familiar, it’s because Ohio policymakers have been trying to get similar measures on the books for years now. There are bills currently in the Ohio House and Senate that would allow utilities to charge subsidies to help the state’s coal and nuclear plants. FirstEnergy, which supports those state proposals, says their plants play “an invaluable role in a well-functioning electric grid, yet the markets do not adequately compensate these assets.”Before Ohio lawmakers got involved, the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio approved a plan that allowed the power companies to add extra fees to electric bills to help these plants. However, FERC denied that rule as well.More: http://wksu.org/post/ohio-utilities-contemplate-next-steps-after-trump-regulators-reject-coal-nuclear-plant#stream/0
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York The launch of any new publication is always reason to celebrate. It’s another voice. It’s another outlet for the community to express itself. It offers new views, brings to life new visions and inspires others to do the same. It informs and entertains the public.Factor in the added significance of Living Out as the monthly voice of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community on Long Island—one historically underserved here, especially considering gay rights icon Harvey Milk grew up in Bay Shore—and you’ve got especially good reason to celebrate.Living Out’s second issue is currently on stands now and is packed with GLBT news and features, spanning personal tales from Hurricane Sandy, travel, health, music and movie reviews and food recommendations to the cover story, an insightful interview with comedian and Celebrity Apprentice alum Lisa Lampanelli. We suggest you grab a copy before they’re all gone!We at the Press are proud to play a role, however minimal, in Living Out’s creation. Our parent company Morey Publishing, LLC, under its custom publishing arm Private Label, publishes and distributes Living Out. Under the direction of Living Out Publisher David Kilmnick, chief executive officer at the Long Island Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender (GLBT) Services Network, Living Out’s talented team provides the content. Our editorial and production crew assists in the layout, design and copyediting.Heading Living Out’s staff is Meryl Lumba, its editor; Jeff Main, its art director; and Andrew Schleider, its advertising director.We look forward to many, many years of great coverage—we know the Island surely needs it.The Press congratulates the staff of Long Island’s new GLBT publication, Living Out!
The Indonesian Metal Workers Federation (FSPMI) urged the government to cut the prices of electricity and fuel to help people amid the weakening economy caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.The federation’s secretary-general, Riden Hatam Azis, said the workers’ demands were realistic considering plummeting oil prices. International benchmark Brent crude was down 2.3 percent in afternoon trade on Monday at $26 a barrel, after earlier being down about 5 percent.”By cutting fuel prices, we hope people’s purchasing power remains stable in this difficult time caused by the pandemic,” Raden said in a statement on Tuesday. Read also: House, labor unions call on govt, businesses to protect workers from COVID-19The decrease in fuel prices, he explained, would be followed by a drop in staple food prices, as the former would cause a decrease in distribution costs.”The government should also cut electricity rates as it has lowered the price of industrial gas to US$6 per million British thermal unit [mmbtu],” Raden said. “The decrease in gas price would automatically be followed by a decrease in production costs for state electricity firm PLN.”He went on to say a cut in the electricity rate would help those are forced to stay at home to prevent the spread of COVID-19.”The government should act fairly. When the global oil price rises, they increase prices for fuel and electricity. Therefore, they should also lower those prices now as the global oil price is plummeting now.”Oil prices were mixed in volatile Asian trade on Monday, but remained at multi-year lows due to the double shock of the coronavirus pandemic and the Saudi-Russia price war.Topics :
Freelance workers in the creative industry are resorting to loans to survive the economic downturn brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic, as they lack health insurance and other social safety nets, a survey indicates.According to a recent survey conducted by Sindikasi, a media and creative workers union, about 22.3 percent of freelance workers who have reported a loss of income are taking loans to survive, while 20.6 percent of them have sold some of their belongings to make ends meet.“If the condition continues, freelance workers have to choose whether to die because of COVID-19 or to die from starvation,” Sindikasi chairwoman Ellena Ekarahendy told journalists during an online press conference on Thursday. In addition, the economic downturn has prompted companies to tighten their expenditure, which includes reducing their marketing budgets for advertisement. Market research firm eMarketer previously revised down its forecast for global advertising growth by $20 billion as advertisers shy away from marketing their products amid a humanitarian crisis.Sindikasi’s data projects that the majority, or around 65 percent, of potential contract cancellations in the first half of 2020 would come from small projects worth between Rp1 million (US$53) to Rp15 million.To reduce the freelance workers’ financial burden, Ellena urged the Tourism and Creative Economic Ministry to hire the creative industry freelancers to create content for the government.“The ministry budget could be reallocated as a ‘creative workers emergency fund’ to hire the workers for producing content,” she said.She also urged the Education and Culture Ministry to coordinate with the Manpower Ministry to start recording data on the economic impact of COVID-19 on the creative industry, which would provide the government with a clear view on the industry’s condition.The COVID-19 induced economic downturn has threatened millions of workers worldwide, including in Indonesia, as the International Monetary Fund (IMF) projects the worst global recession since the Great Depression.The IMF also projects that Indonesia’s unemployment rate will rise to 7.5 percent this year from last year’s 5.3 percent as the pandemic has upended supply chains, forcing companies to lay off employees and crushing demand for goods as consumers stay at home.According to data from the Manpower Ministry and the Workers Social Security Agency (BPJS Ketenagakerjaan), as many as 2.8 million people have already lost their jobs as of April 13 or were sent on paid or unpaid leave.Topics : Ellena said freelance workers in general were extremely vulnerable during economic downturns, as they had no social security from their clients and client could cut off their contracts without any compensation.More than 87 percent of the respondents in Sindikasi’s survey said they had not received any compensation for canceled projects. Meanwhile, 79.1 percent of the respondents said they relied on their freelance work to earn a living.In the creative industry, filmmakers and videographers are the most affected subsector, followed by those working in performing arts.“Many of the freelance workers are losing their income as their jobs require them to be in the field. For instance, art performers would have to perform in theaters with large audiences to earn their income,” Sindikasi researcher Fathimah Fildzah Izzati said.
Greece-based shipowner Kyklades Maritime has reached an agreement to sell its Aframax tanker Nissos Santorini to Singapore’s Eastern Pacific Shipping.Under the deal, signed on May 30, the 115,700 dwt tanker is being sold for a price of USD 30.3 million, slightly over its market value of USD 29.7 million, according to data provided by VesselsValue.Featuring a capacity of 123,646 m3, Nissos Santorini was built in 2012 by South Korean shipbuilder Samsung Heavy Industries.Following the completion of this transaction, Kyklades Maritime will operate a fleet of nine vessels, including four LR2 ships, three Aframaxes and two Suezmaxes.The owner has two Suezmax tankers currently on order at Japan Marine United. With 157,100 dwt, the ships, which have a market value of over USD 55.2 million a piece, are scheduled to be handed over in April and July 2018, respectively.World Maritime News Staff
Immigration authorities recently boarded a non-Chinese flag ship in Ningbo and conducted an inspection of the crew’s mobile phones, marine insurer West of England P&I informed.The crew were told to surrender their phones and content from each of the phones was uploaded to the authorities’ laptop for inspection, which was reportedly undertaken as part of the country’s nationwide anti-terrorist campaign.The search was said to be for videos, files concerning terrorism or any other criminal related activity.Additionally, the vessel was also advised that the same searches may continue as a routine inspection in the future.“Although the authorities claimed that they didn’t download any personal information, the situation is somewhat disturbing,” West of England P&I cited the Hong Kong Shipowners Association (HKSOA).The flag state of the ship in question is now considering making a formal protest to the Chinese Government.West of England P&I said that this incident could be related to the 19th National Congress of the Communist Party of China, which opened on October 18, adding that “time will tell if the searches continue after that event has completed.”
NZ Herald 16 February 2016Family First Comment: The NZ Herald website has a nice video clip focusing on our Longest Married Couple 2016 winners! Watch Now: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/life-style/news/video.cfm?c_id=1503081&gal_cid=1503081&gallery_id=157784Keep up with family issues in NZ. Receive our weekly emails direct to your Inbox.